I just love real life stories where people are just going about their day minding their own busy lives when suddenly they are called upon to use their skills.
This story was too good not to share with you. Just yesterday CPR Instructor Jennifer Brandt was teaching a CPR class at the American Red Cross Chapter in Rochester when a fellow volunteer went into cardiac Arrest.
Obviously she has trained for this moment and she jumped into action along with her class full of Health Care Providers.
The patient did start to breath on his own and there is no doubt in my mind that the immediate action of bystanders are to thank.
In 2006 I experienced a similar situation. I was teaching a CPR and First Aid class in Seattle near lake union at Korry Electronics www.esterline.com when one of my students went into cardiac arrest right in the middle of my class. The video was playing and I looked over and noticed that one of the students was slumped in their chair. We moved him to the ground and with the help of a student we started CPR. Luckily Korry Electronics did have an AED in the building and after just one shock the student regained a heart beat, woke up and started talking.
It was an amazing experience to be able to put my training to good use and most of all a family is still intact and did not loose a member that day.
If you are looking to expand your knowledge of life threatening emergencies sign up for a CPR and First Aid class. we suggest every family have a member represented that is able to treat life threatening injuries and know how to preform CPR.